Financial Aid

Financial Aid

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (known as FAFSA), is a form that can be filled out annually by students planning to attend a trade/technical school, community college or 4 year university. The FAFSA helps determine student eligibility for federal financial aid (including grants, loans, and work-study programs). In addition, most states and schools use information from the FAFSA to award non-federal aid.

FAFSA - Documents Required FAFSA Docs Needed Eng Span.pdf

Before Beginning a FAFSA: Gather the documents you need for both student and parents
1. Permanent Residence Number (if applicable)
2. Social Security Number
3. Driver's license
4. Income tax return, bank statements

Apply for a PIN now!

Speed up the process by signing your FAFSA electronically with your PIN. Your parent can sign electronically too; they must sign up for their own pin (only one parent pin number necessary).

To meet the Federal Student Financial Aid deadline:
1. Apply as early as possible beginning January 1st of each year.
2. California: Cal Grant deadline is March 2nd every year!!

The Personal Identification Number (PIN) serves as your electronic signature and provides access to your personal information in various U.S. Department of Education systems. Anyone—including parents of dependent students—who has a valid Social Security Number and is a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen may apply for a PIN. Because you can use your PIN to sign your financial aid documents, you should keep it in a safe place. Do not give or entrust it to anyone!

Each year that you apply for financial aid you can use your PIN to access and electronically sign your FAFSA. You and your parents do not need to apply for anew PIN from one year to the next. The PIN stays the same.

Financial Aid Glossary
Cal Grant A Competitive Awards are for students with a minimum 3.0 GPA who are from low-and middle-income families. These awards help pay tuition and fees at qualifying schools with academic programs that are at least two years in length.

Cal Grant B Competitive Awards are for students with a minimum 2.0 GPA who are from disadvantaged and low-income families. These awards can be used for tuition, fees and access costs at qualifying schools whose programs are at least one year in length. If you get a Cal Grant B Competitive Award it can only be used for access costs in the first year. These costs include living expenses, transportation, supplies and books. Beginning with the second year, you can use your Cal Grant B to help pay tuition and fees at public or private four-year colleges or other qualifying schools.

Cal Grant C awards help pay for tuition and training costs at occupational or career colleges. This $576 award is for books, tools and equipment. You may also receive up to an additional $2,592. To qualify, you must enroll in a vocational program that is at least four months long at a California Community College, private college, or a vocational school. Funding is available for up to two years, depending on the length of your program.

Federal Pell Grant unlike a loan does not have to be repaid. Pell Grants are awarded usually only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or a professional degree.

LOANS are borrowed money that must be repaid, with interest, just like car loans and mortgages. Loans are legal obligations, so before you take out a student loan, think about the amount you’ll have to repay over the years.

The Federal Work-Study Program is a program that enables students to earn money toward college expenses by working on campus, in the government, or in selected non profit agencies serving the community. Students receive a monthly paycheck (based on an hourly wage) that they can use for educational expenses.

Scholarships are either need-based or merit-based (gifts awarded for academic ability, athletic ability, special talents, or unique affiliations).Scholarships could be a part of the financial aid package put together for you by a college or university.

National Scholarships these scholarships are usually offered by large retail companies, organizations or private donors such as Memorial Scholarships, McDonald’s, Wal-Mart, Target, Hispanic Scholarship Fund and Foundations. To apply for these scholarships students must complete applications online or request an application packet. DMHS Counseling Department provides a list of national scholarships, however, students are responsible for completing and following-up on application process which may vary by donor.

Local Scholarships are given by organizations in our community. Some of the organizations have their own application process others may request to see a scholarship portfolio which is available through our counseling department. DMHS Counselors will provide scholarship portfolio workshops to assist students in this process. Students are responsible for gathering all information required and Counselors will provide completed portfolios to organizations that request them for selecting recipients.

Understand your STUDENT AID REPORT (SAR)

If you’ve recently submitted a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) you can expect to receive a SAR in return.

When to Expect Your SAR/Cuando debes de recibir el SAR?

How you filed your FAFSA will affect how soon you get your SAR. If you filed electronically and chose to receive your SAR via email, you should receive your SAR within a few days. If you chose to receive your SAR by mail it will take approximately 3 to 4 weeks for you to receive it.

Keep an eye on your bulk or junk mail folders after you submit your FAFSA in case the email with your SAR gets routed there.

If you’ve experienced previous problems receiving automatically generated emails, you may want to elect to receive the paper SAR instead of the electronic version.

If you haven’t received a SAR within four weeks of filing your FAFSA using either regular mail or electronic email method, call the U.S. Department of Education help desk at:
1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243).

Information on your SAR:
Expected Family Contribution (EFC): The EFC is the amount the federal government believes your family is able to contribute toward your college costs, based on the financial information provided. This is not necessarily the amount you will have to pay.

Verification: If there is an asterisk (*) next to your EFC, it means you may have to show additional financial documentation to your college in order to qualify for federal aid. The federal processor has many automatic triggers in place to flag data discrepancies for verification. Sometimes the processor finds a mistake or conflicting data; other times, it may flag an SAR with data that are not reflective of a “typical” family.

Data Release Number (DRN): You’ll need to reference this number if you want to make your SAR available to schools you did not included originally on your FAFSA. You’ll also need to have your DRN handy if you need to change your address.

Loan Summary: Review the loans listed and make sure they are correct. If you want to review your outstanding loans in greater detail, you can visit the National Student Loan Data System’s Web site. You will need the same PIN you used to sign your FAFSA to access your loan information. If you have no federal loans, then there is no need to review this section.

FAFSA Changes: It is important that you check over your information on the last few pages of the SAR to make sure it’s correct. Make any necessary changes as soon as possible. You can make changes to your processed FAFSA in the space provided, or you can make changes online. Be sure to correct any estimated information.

If you have any further questions about the SAR, or if you don’t receive one in a timely manner, contact the U.S. Department of Education Help Desk at:1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) as well as your prospective college’s financial aid office.

Ayuda Financiera

La aplicación gratis para ayuda federal al estudiante (conocida como
FAFSA), es una forma que sepuede completar anualmente por los estudiantes que planean atender a una escuela técnica, colegio comunitario o una universidad de 4 años. La FAFSA ayuda a determinar la elegibilidad del estudiante para la ayuda financiera federal (concesiones, préstamos, y programas de trabajo-estudio). Además, lamayoría de los estados y las escuelas utilizan la información del FAFSA para conceder la ayuda no-federal.

Antes de Comenzar el FAFSA: Recopile los documentos que usted necesita para el estudiante y sus padres
1. Numero de tarjeta de Residencia Permanente (mica, si no es ciudadano)
2. Numero de seguro social
3. Licencia de manejo
4. Estado de cuenta bancaria, Income Taxes

Aplica para un PIN ahora (firma electrónica)!

Acelere el proceso firmando su FAFSA electrónicamente con su PIN. Sus padre puede firmar electrónicamente también, aplicando por un PIN (solamente un PIN necesario para los padres).

Para satisfacer el plazo Financiero de la Ayuda del Estudiante Federal:
1.Aplique lo más temprano posible que comenzando el 1 de enero de cada año.
2. California: ¡El plazo de Cal Grant es el 2 de marzo de cada año!!

El número de identificación personal (PIN) sirve como su firma electrónica y proporciona el acceso a su información personal en los varios EE.UU. Departamentos de los sistemas educativos. Cualquier persona-incluyendo padres del estudiante- que tengan un número de Seguro Social válido y es un ciudadano de EE.UU. o residente permanente puede solicitar un PIN. Porque usted puede utilizar su PIN para firmar sus documentos financieros de la ayuda, usted debe mantenerlo un lugar seguro. ¡No dé ni confíe su PIN a cualquier persona!

Cada año que usted solicita ayuda financiera usted puede utilizar su PIN paratener acceso y para firmar electrónicamente su FAFSA. Usted y sus padres no necesitan solicitar un PIN nuevo a partir de un año al siguiente. El PIN permanece igual.

Diccionario de Ayuda Financiera
Cal Grant A Concesiones Competitivas son para estudiantes con promedio mínimo 3.0 que vienen de familias de bajos a medios ingresos. Estas concesiones ayudan a pagar la cuota y honorarios en las escuelas calificativas con los programas académicos que son por lo menos dos años en longitud.

Cal Grant B Concesiones Competitivas son para los estudiantes con promedio mínimo 2.0 que sean de familias con desventajas y de bajos ingresos. Estas concesiones se pueden utilizar para la cuota, los honorarios y los costos del acceso a las escuelas calificativas cuales programas son por lo menos un año en longitud. Si usted consigue el Cal Grant B puede ser utilizada solamente para los costos del acceso en el primer año. Estos costos incluyen, el transporte, costos de vida y materiales y libros. Comenzando con el segundo año, usted puede utilizar su Cal Grant B para ayudar a pagar la cuota y los honorarios en las universidades de cuatro años públicas o privadas u otras escuelas calificativas.

Cal Grant C ayudan a pagar costos de la cuota y del entrenamiento en las escuelas técnicas/ocupacionales. Esta concesión de $576 es para los libros, las herramientas y el equipo. Usted puede también recibir hasta $2.592 adicionales. Para calificar, usted debe registrarse en un programa vocacional que tenga porlo menos cuatro meses de largo en un colegio comunitario de California, colegio privado, o una escuela vocacional. El financiamiento está disponible por hastados años, dependiendo de la longitud de su programa.

Federal Pell Grant en comparación de un préstamo, el dinero no tiene que ser regresado. Estas concesiones se conceden generalmente a estudiantes que aun no terminan su licenciatura o programa profesional.

PRÉSTAMOS son el dinero prestado que se debe pagar, con interés, como los préstamos de coche o hipotecas. Los préstamos son obligaciones legales, así que antes de que usted tome un préstamo de estudiante, piense en la cantidad que usted tendrá que regresar/pagar sobre los años.

El Trabajo-Estudio Federal es un programa que permite a estudiantes ganar el dinero hacia costos de la universidad trabajando en campus, en el gobierno, o en las agencias no lucrativas seleccionadas que sirven a la comunidad. Los estudiantes reciben un cheque mensual (basada en un salario por hora) que ellos pueden utilizar para los costos educativos.

Becas se basan en necesidad económica o mérito (becas concedidas por capacidad académica, atlética, talentos especiales, o afiliaciones especiales).Las becas podrían ser parte del paquete financiero de ayuda compuesto por la universidad.

Becas Nacionales estas becas son generalmente ofrecidas por compañías grandes, organizaciones o donantes privados tales como becas conmemorativas, McDonald's, Wal-Mart, Target, Fondo Hispano de Becas y fundaciones. Para solicitar estas becas los estudiantes deben de aplicar por la Internet o pedir el paquete de aplicación. El departamento de consejeros de DMHS proporciona una lista de becas nacionales, sin embargo, los estudiantes son responsables determinar y seguir el proceso aplicación que puede variar por el donante.

Becas Locales son ofrecidas por organizaciones en nuestra comunidad.Algunas de las organizaciones tienen su propio proceso de aplicación mientras otras pueden solicitar ver un portafolio de beca que será disponible a travésdel departamento de consejeros. Los consejeros de DMHS proporcionarán talleres sobre portafolios de beca a los estudiantes para asistirlos en este proceso.Los estudiantes son responsables de recopilar toda la información requerida y los consejeros proporcionarán los portafolios a las organizaciones que los soliciten para seleccionar a recipientes.

Entienda su Reporte de Ayuda Financiera

Estudiantil (SAR)

Si usted ha sometido recientemente una aplicación para ayuda federal del estudiante (FAFSA) usted recibirá un reporte SAR.

Dependiendo cómo usted mandó su FAFSA afectará cuando recibirá su SAR. Si usted lo mandó electrónicamente y eligió recibir su SAR vía el email, usted debe recibirsu SAR dentro de algunos días. Si usted eligió recibirlo por correo se tardara de 3 a 4 semanas para recibirlo.

Vigile su correo electrónico (junk mail) después de que usted someta su FAFSA encaso de que el email con su SAR haya sido mandado al junk mail, (basura electrónica).

Si usted ha experimentado problemas anteriores en recibir email automáticamente generado, usted puede elegir recibir el reporte de SAR por correo a su domicilio en vez de la versión electrónica.

Si usted no recibe un SAR en el plazo de cuatro semanas de haber sometido su FAFSA usando el correo regular o por correo electrónico, llame al U.S.Departamento de Educación al: 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243).

Información en su reporte SAR:
Contribución prevista de la familia (EFC): El EFC es la cantidad que el gobierno federal cree que su familia puede contribuir hacia sus costos de la universidad, basados en la información financiera proporcionada. Ésta no es necesariamente la cantidad que usted tendrá que pagar.

Verificación: Si hay un asterisco (*) al lado de su EFC, significa que usted tendrá que demostrar la documentación financiera adicional a su universidad para calificar para la ayuda federal. El procesador federal tiene muchas señales automáticas en lugar para señalar las discrepancias de datos durante el proceso de verificación. El procesador encuentra a veces un error odatos que están en conflicto; otras veces, puede señalar un SAR por datos queno son reflexivos de una familia “típica”.

Número de Autorización de datos (DRN): Usted necesitará referirse a este número si desea que su SAR sea disponible a escuelas que usted no incluyo originalmente en su FAFSA. Usted también necesitará tener su DRN disponible por si usted necesita cambiar su dirección.

Resumen del Préstamo: Repase los préstamos enumerados y cerciórese de que estén correctos. Si usted desea repasar los préstamos que debe en mayor detalle, usted puede visitar al Sitio de la Web nacional del sistema de datos de préstamos a los estudiantes. Usted necesitará el mismo número de PIN con elque usted firmaba su FAFSA para tener acceso a su información de préstamos. Siusted no tiene ningún préstamo federal, no hay necesidad de repasar esta sección.

Cambios de FAFSA: Es importante que usted revise su información en las últimas páginas del SAR para cerciorarse de que todo esté correcto. Realice cualquier cambio necesario cuanto antes. Usted puede realizar cambios en su FAFSA procesado en el espacio proporcionado, o usted puede realizar cambios en la Internet. Asegúrese de corregir cualquier información que fue estimada.

Si usted tiene preguntas adicionales sobre el SAR, o si no recibe el SAR en el tiempo apropiado, póngase en contacto con el U.S. Departamento de Educación en:1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) así como también con la oficina de ayuda financiera de su universidad.